Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 - A New Year and New Goals

 

 

I can’t believe it is 2012 already 2011 seemed to have flown by. We are getting ready to start our school year back on Monday. We took almost all of December off and it is time to get back to work. 

I have been working on lesson plans for the month of January. we will be taking a week off for a trip to Disney so it is a short month.  The first week back I always add in some fun projects to make it a little easier to get back into the schedule. I have some crafts planned for us to do for the trip.  We are going to make rock candy for a science experiment. It has nothing to do with the circulatory system but it will be a fun science experiment. 

He is very excited to start studying the American revolution. I am so happy to see his interest in history since I was a history major.  I plan on taking as much time as he wants on the American Revolution. Isn’t that just one of the best things about homeschooling being able to take time and really study a subject at length.  He has already watched about half of the Liberty Kids series on Netflix. It is available for instant streaming on Amazon also.

I also bought a few books for extra reading and we will be making a trip to the library next week for huge book run.

 

  IMG_0024-1_edited-1IMG_0025-1_edited-1

IMG_0023-1_edited-1

He also picked Neil Armstrong for his next biography read.

IMG_0022-1_edited-1

I found a coloring book for the periodic chart, very excited to start this.  One side has a coloring page with  visual images of the element and the page to the left gives you all the basic information. A great way to learn about the periodic chart. I bought it from amazon and it is a bit pricey, $25.00 but I look at it as a curriculum book.

IMG_0026-1_edited-1

 

We have a new temporary school area.  We have done so much school work in the living room vs. the schoolroom/office we have.  He does much better paying attention that way, drives me batty but what works it what counts.  We are needing a little more space for spreading out his books and things. While I reorganize the office to hopefully make it work better and we are shopping for new living room furniture, I set up a small area in our living room.  It looks a bit odd when you walk the front door but we are a homeschool family. I hope it will work for a couple of months. 

new school area

 

I hope everyone has a great 2012!

1 comment:

  1. I love the books you chose for your American Revolution study! :-) We are going to be getting to that soon in our homeschool, as well! I, too, was a history major (and history teacher), so I am really looking forward to it, like you.

    We visited Williamsburg and Jamestown over Thanksgiving, so I am hoping that those memories are still fresh in their minds as we start school back up next week.

    I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!

    Many blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete